In June earlier this year, Big Chill teamed up with CoolEffect.org, a non-profit that is devoted to reducing carbon emissions by funding carbon-reducing projects around the world. Big Chill supported this groundbreaking project in two important ways:
- By donating a cookstove to a Ugandan family in need for every Big Chill appliance purchased.
- Donating 1% of our total monthly sales to Cool Effect
- In rural Uganda, 90% of the population cook their meals on open fires that are inefficient, dirty, and dangerous
- The Cool Effect project promotes the manufacture and distribution of improved cookstoves, reducing fuel consumption and reducing emissions of globe-warming carbon into the earth’s atmosphere.
- To date, this project has sold more than 500,000 stoves in Uganda, benefiting over 2.5 million people and saving households over USD $163 million in fuel costs
- These cookstoves have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by an incredible 3.5 million tonnes of carbon dioxide
- They've also reduced charcoal consumption by 630 thousand tons of charcoal, which is equivalent to planting more than 9.6 million trees